Thursday, September 18, 2008

FFF-Hope

"The power of HOPE is a beautiful thing. It gives us something to look forward to on our darkest days. It is a light in the darkness. It is the anticipation of good things to come."-Heather"Faithfull Froggers"

Above is a quote from the inspiration of this weeks theme-Hope. I have to say that this one threw me for a loop, and although I could come up with a lot of things in my life that give me hope, I couldn't find a picture that could quite describe the amazing topic of "Hope".


So, I will describe a time in my life, where there was great hope, and share a few meaningful pictures from that time of great hope.

You see, although we have one bio child, and three beautiful and amazing children adopted from Guatemala, there was a time in our life that I thought we would be going to a completely different country to find the children that God always meant to be ours-Russia.







I can remember the excitement, and hope we had while filling out paperwork, or as many of you know, the dossier, and waiting to receive our referral. A lot went on during that long year of waiting, with the closing and reopening of the adoption process in Russia, and at last, in July of 2005, we received two photos-one of a toddler boy, and one of a baby girl.



In August of 2005, we boarded a plane to Russia with our hearts bursting with joy in anticipation of meeting our new son and daughter. We were ecstatic, and the hope that filled our hearts was overflowing.








Every thing we saw represented hope, and I can't even begin to express to you in words the feelings of excitement, joy and hope we were experiencing as we arrived at the orphanage in Izhevsk, Russia!



The beautiful fields of sunflowers that lined the highways(2 lane, very rough roads) to the orphanage





The orphanage


Clothes hanging out to dry in the yard of the orphanage.




The playground at the orphanage









To make a long story short, we came home shattered and broken, and the children we thought would be ours, were in truth not meant to be.




And for a short while,our days were dark, as our hope was gone.




In early September of 2005, we received a new referral picture, of a beautiful baby boy living in Guatemala. With our hope renewed, we accepted the referral of this sweet little guy, and our journey that is journaled in this blog, to a family of 6 began...





Caleb Michael born August 24, 2005-the day after we arrived home from Russia.






You see, we were really never meant to go to Russia, and why the Lord sent us there, is beyond me. Hopefully one day he will reveal to me the reasons, but for now, I know that Guatemala is where my children were always waiting for me.



Maya Mishelle

Sofia Grace

13 comments:

Aileen said...

We, too, often question why God sent us to Guatemala for a child that would never come home to us (she passed away in Jan. 08, after the new law took affect). But, we felt the calling there in a big way, so we know there was certainly a purpose and wouldn't change the week we had with sweet girl before she died. And, God has given us blessings beyond measure with our son, adopted domestically, who just happens to be a Guatemalan American too! Thanks for sharing your story!

Sarah said...

HOPE is an amazing thing... it is what keeps us going and makes us keep looking forward to what HE has in store for us... often a much different path that what we ever thought we would walk.

I know you would not change a thing...

Anonymous said...

My hope is that all orphans find a loving home like yours!!!

Hugs,Leslie

Your babies are gorgeous!

Debbie said...

I know what you mean, we thought our daughters would be from Taiwan, but in truth one is from Guatemala and one from Ethiopia (whenever she gets here) God has a way of redirecting our course sometimes!!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

I think "Fia" has changed the most.

M said...

The Lord's journey is somewhat a bumpy "road less traveled by" but it is always a sweet journey. It is wonderful how he blessed your broken road! Thanks for sharing!

Steph, Rod and Parkersito said...

I had no idea. What an amazing story and a perfect example of hope. Thank you for sharing.

Isabella's mom said...

That was a very touching story


Jill

Rebekah said...

What a wonderful and heartbreaking story - it was a wonderful example that God is always in charge and, though we may not always know, He always has a plan for us ... what hope you have in your 3 amazing children! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

Rebekah, Jaden & Baby#2

pureheaven said...

Thank you for sharing your story. Your children are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Sabra - Thank you for sharing your story. That truly is an amazing story of HOPE and of following God even in the darkest days. I'm so glad you were led to your 3 Guatemalan blessings!

Robyn said...

Your story is a true example of hope!!

Robyn

Anonymous said...

This was beautiful, Sabra...I have received such a blessing from the 'comments' from you precious adoptive parents too! It makes me think of the verse in
I Corinthians 13:13..."And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." (NIV) You all have all moved from 'hope' to the greatest of these three...LOVE! May God bless you all! Mom Maslin